The Board of Commissioner's has approved Environmental Planning & Design, LLC to perform the 2023 Comprehensive Plan of North Huntingdon Township at a cost of $59,710. The Township will be applying for grant money to cover 50% of the cost through the PA Department of Community and Economic Development.
The last time the Township developed a comprehensive plan was 1999. As a community changes in population makeup or size, or as trends and practices develop, comprehensive plans must evolve too. Here are some of the benefits:
• Allows a community to be proactive to issues
• Allows the community to identify factors influencing and shaping the community, and consider how competing interests can be balanced.
• Provides guidance for orderly growth, development and the physical appearance of the community.
• Provides an opportunity to think regionally, especially regarding growth, utilities, community services and transportation.
• Sets up the community for grant funding success, by clarifying needs and demonstrating public support for certain projects or improvements.
• Serves as a guide to orient decisions over time, no matter if there is turnover in leadership or staff. This provides for stability and predictability.
• Builds consensus and commitment for elected officials and provides guidance for future decision-making.